Saturday 6 August 2016

August Garden



That beautiful blue star is a borage flower. I wanted a borage because bees love them, and my mother grew them. They self-seeded everywhere and the garden was blue and starry for years.


What I didn't remember is how big and savage they are. Over four feet tall, bushy and covered all over by fine, sharp hairs that stab you almost as viciously as the thistle.
      There are gentler things in the garden.



      The thistle is as ferocious and unapproachable as ever.



      Unless you're a bee.



I think this is called 'getting stuck in.' 

Mallow



Woodie making himself comfortable by the pond. He nibbled seed from the grass-head in front of him, took a drink, nibbled a bit more seed, another drink...



Hoping for a few more days of sunshine...

5 comments:

Joan Lennon said...

I do love your garden.

Sue Bursztynski said...

Beautiful! My own garden is on the balcony. It's made up of jade plants - which do, occasionally, flower. The only birds ever to visit it have been pigeons! Not at all colourful. And they STAY! And make a mess.

Jenny Alexander said...

I love these posts about your garden and your country walks - you take such beautiful photos.

Susan Price said...

Oh Jade plants! My mother had several, of different sizes and different shades of jade, but she always called them 'Money Plants.' Not that they ever brought her any money. I bet your balcony looks beautiful. Except for the pigeon-mess.

The birds in my garden make quite a mess too. Seed and poo everywhere. But they are entertaining to watch. Woodie by the pond was like an old man in a cafe: comfortable seat, a little nibble, a little sip - another little nibble, another sip... All he needed was the (Pigeon) Racing Times.

Susan Price said...

Thanks, Jennie!