Saturday 23 May 2015

A Walk On Walton Hill...

Join me in a walk over Walton Hill...It's a steep hill...

But we're here to see the bluebells. We come every year to see the bluebells.

There are two hills on the National Trust property at Clent - Walton Hill and Clent Hill.








 Both are pooled and deep in bluebells at this time of year.







There was a bank whereon the bells spangled blue and white.
 


We walked to the gate at the end of the path.


Gusts of hyacinth scent blew to us on the breeze.

At the gate we turned left and climbed uphill.



'Massed bluebells indicate undisturbed ancient woodland.'



You could see the leaves turning from their true colour of red to green, as they start to produce cholorphyll.


The birds were yelling their heads off again. The great tits were swinging incessantly on that creaky gate of theirs.










And then we went to the pub. You can only take so much overwhelming natural beauty.

9 comments:

JO said...

For those who don't live near you - I recommend West Woods, near Marlborough in Wiltshire. Free, except for two Sundays in May when the Round Table charge people to go in - raising money for local charities.

Joan Lennon said...

Thank you - you can take me for a walk like this any time! (In our local bluebell wood, the white wild garlic is blossoming like crazy in with the blue, so that's the scent I have in my mind.)

Susan Price said...

A bluebell exchange! - Thanks, Jo.

And Joan, oh yes, the rich, deep pungent smell of wild garlic. We call it 'ransome' round here for some reason. I remember, when I was a child, picking a large bunch of the beautiful, white, star-like flowers for my mother. They didn't smell so bad, out in the open air. When I brought them back to the house...

Sue Bursztynski said...

I'll never forget taking my first sniff at what I thought were snowdrops and finding out it's something called onion weed! :-) What a pretty lot of pictures! I live in the city, so don't have any pretty forests to walk through in the spring. But there's plenty to see anyway and the nature strips are full of chamomile daisies and cape weed daisies and oxalis and dandelions. And sometimes you'll see violas, though those mostly in winter.

Susan Price said...

Violas in winter! They're spring and summer flowers here. At the moment, my shady garden is full of intensely violet violets. Violas and violets - aren't they beautiful names?

Penny Dolan said...

Enjoying your bluebells vicariously, Sue. Yesterday, I passed the entrance to nearby Plompton Rocks (only open at weekends over the warmer months)planning to visit the lovely bluebell wood today. Usual notice covered by big scrawly sign saying "Closed till 2016." Thanks for these!

madwippitt said...

Great pics ... and definitely wise to adjourn to the pub ... much wiser than lying down and taking a nap amongst the bluebells ... :-)

Susan Price said...

Oh yes... Don't want to wake up elsewhen.

Leslie Wilson said...

Lovely blog! Wild garlic (allium ursinium) is called Baerlauch in German ( bear's onions) which is the same as the Latin of course. I have often wondered where Ransoms comes from (or is it ramsons? But wild garlic, which I grow and make soups and sauces out of, is romantically evocative for me, because when David and I first fell in love, we walked along the river Wear to Finchale Priory (probably spelt that wrong) and the air was rich with wild garlic. It's a very pretty flower.. But there's nothing like a bluebell wood, is there? I always think it
Is like a trip into Fairyland!